Skip to main content

Being Ideal Teacher

So what it means to be an ideal teacher. We all are student of life as well as serve as teachers to others at many juncture of life. Lots of people come in our contact and learn many thing about us and from us while sometime we take this formal role of teacher. I was writing my teaching philosophy and came up with following write up. Please go through and share your view on being an ideal teacher. This will help me to take different perspective as well as this exercise will help you as well to be a better teacher when situation needed. I am sure many of you remember this pic:


Teaching is one of the most noble profession which is mother of all other professions. Since childhood, I have had a passion to learn anything and everything, not only knowledge but also the style of great teachers who shaped me. Now, when I look back; I find, it was not just teaching but a character-building process. This realization has helped shape my temperament to be an inspiring teacher who aspire to learn as he teaches.

My teaching philosophy has developed as a result Over the years I have learned few underlying principles which inculcate a healthy learning, if present in teaching process. Firstly, Nobody want to do anything if there is no interest. I have experienced, the teachers who were able to kindle the fire the interest about their subjects pulled most of me toward their subjects. I still remember in my high school, I devoted much time reading about Chemistry & Physics experiments rather than history books, one of the main reason was I was thrilled with the experiments I could do about the theory which I learned in the class. Second, if the fundamentals are missing, no matter how much enthusiasm and effort was poured by my teachers, I was not able to relate them and class used to be a burden, as I was not able to catch up with my teacher and friends and I used to feel somewhere low inside. This gave me a lesson for life, if I want to learn anything, I must have strong fundamentals of that subject. Third, I found it very helpful and supportive to have a friendly and warm-hearted teacher for conducive learning, because in my undergraduate, in spite of having intense desire to learn physical chemistry and even with strong fundamentals, my interest for physical chemistry in second year of college died down due to repeated rude, rash and unresponsive lectures. Fourth, short-cuts can be and mostly are impediments on the path of making a strong student on the long run. In spite of giving direct solution to the question being asked, I feel it's more valuable to understand why student can't come up to answer, where student lacks in fundamentals or analysis to reach the final answer which he/she looking for. This process helps the student much more than just giving the answer. The essence of this process has been reflected in saying, "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime". This one thing has propelled me so far in Organic Chemistry. In spite of just knowing the end product of reaction, I could learn the basic principle of reaction mechanism which govern not only one reaction but many. In our group meetings, when we discussed reaction mechanism, I always enjoyed the way, my advisor Prof Fleming, always asked us to see if particular component as acid/base or electrophile or nucleophile. He used to tell us if we can identify this fundamental we can start drawing the arrows in  the correct direction and reaction mechanism will emerge and I can say during this process I learned much more than reaction mechanism, I also learned the fundamental behavior of chemicals. Learning basics rather than short-cuts to final answer is a way for strong command over the subject.  Fifth, being creative really helps, sometime same thing explained from different angles and phrases and examples get easier to understand which sometimes are not clear even after reading 10-15 times from text-books. I still remember in my freshman year of college, I had such a hard time understanding Joul-Thompson Effect in Thermodynamics chapter which states, "In a free expansion, the gas does no work and absorbs no heat, so the internal energy is conserved. Expanded in this manner, the temperature of an ideal gas would remain constant, but the temperature of a real gas may either increase or decrease, depending on the initial temperature and pressure." I read this statement again and again, discussed with my friends but all in vain. Then, one day when the class ended, I went to my Chemistry professor, and asked him could he please explain that to me and he smiled and rolled his lips as if he wanted to whistle and gently blew air out on my hands, I could feel the cool air striking my hands. He also asked me repeat the process myself and experience the change in temperature of air. Then, he went on saying, this cooling of air is Joul-Thompson effect and I just got it! And the most amazing part is this, I have forgotten many concepts in Physical Chemistry, but I still remember this learning. Sixth, strong communicating skills are essential as it fills the gap between students and teacher. Seventh, being inspiring and relevant to our world through scientific research teacher can keep its appeal among student.  

So this is what I feel. Means teaching is not just sharing of ideas and concepts but is a wholesome process which involve loving and careful nurturing of mind and personality. And when it comes to helping others with life lesson, teacher need to be even more friendly, loving and patient. These all qualities make Sri Sri Ravi Shankar the best and ideal teacher of life. My Guru :-)




 Share what you think make an ideal teacher.

All Glory to Gurudev!
love
Dinesh 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sri Sri University

Sri Sri University Formal education trains people to take up different roles in the society in pursuit of economic growth and social order. With the Indian industry poised to take off as a global economic power, the demand for skilled youth to guide and carry on this pursuit can not be underestimated. Paradoxically, it is confronted with an ever increasing number of educated youth, with mismatched skill-sets: youth with an abundance of technical knowledge but clearly lacking in focus on inner joy, initiative and creativity. Sri Sri University is an international initiative to address this anomaly by developing tomorrow's leaders, managers of change, trained to the industry requirements, with an attitude and skill-set transcending specific disciplines. Inspired by His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, students will look beyond their own limitations and share bigger responsibilities as worthy citizens and brim with confidence. In them we may see not just the smartest, but the leaders,

Achieving Quality Living

If we look around in history also in life around us, there are people who have created history or who are creating history. These are handful of people which you count on fingers while other part of population seems mere existing on the this planet rather than living the life. Just look closely any inspiring figure whether a social workers, reformers, spiritual leaders or Business Tycoons you can take any name say it Martin Luther king or Mother Teresa, or Sri Sri Ravi Shankar or Swami Vivekananda, Bill Gates, Henry Ford All these people have same number of minutes in a day as we have. Then why these people able to deliver much more than we do? What make them different from other people. Now this is a wider issue. I am catching one thread of discussion in this post. If you realize in life we do kind of actions one which are life supporting and other are life degrading. Life supporting actions help us to move forward life life degrading actions bind our legs and put us back. And not do

Bhartiya Sciptures

I am posting this as I think it is necessary. I feel most of today's India don't even know what are our great scriptures are. Even a week ago, I also didn't know all about it. So I felt, it will be good for general awareness and I encourage my blog readers to make a link to this post or copy this post to their own blogs, so that people at least know about the wealth our country has given to the world :) 1. Vedas: There are four Vedas. According to to the Muktikopnishad they had 21, 109, 1,000 and 50 branche s (Total of 1180 branches) . a. Rigved b. Yajurved c. Samved d. Atharvaved 2. Vedangas: There are six Vedangas (parts of the body of the Vedas): a. Vyakaran: Science of Grammer. b. Jyotish: Science of Astrology. c. Nikrukt: Detailed dictionary of vedic words. d. Shikcha: Science of pronunciation. e. Chand: Poetry of Vedas. f. Kalp Sutras: Vedic Dharma 3. Upveds: There are four upveds: a. Arthved (science of sociolo